Sunday, September 18, 2011

A Rhyme of an Obsolete Teacher


This is a rhyme I had much fun writing while waiting for students to show up in the classroom. The school year officially starts September 15th in Morocco. But I have never been lucky enough to meet my students on neither the first nor the second/third day of school ever since I became a teacher. I just don’t know why students always wish holidays were longer than they already are!

A Rhyme of an Obsolete Teacher

Where have all the kids gone?

September is moving headlong

Yet no students have come along

To the place I believe they belong

Can you imagine a school without a throng?

Why do you ask moron?

Cause I do give a doggone?

Without them, lonely would feel my baton

Desks and even walls anon

Would miss the magic of their crayon

True, as soon as I talk they begin to yawn

But I badly need them to blow my horn

You may think crazy this teacher has gone

And probably far too forlorn

Have I turned too obsolete to con

The students to whom I hate to say “begone!”

Or is it I am no more, to them, an icon?

Some kids I sadly noticed see me even as a con

Though truly my care of them lasts from dawn to dawn

Too obsolete, no doubt, I have gone

Shall I quit or teaching keep on?

Truth be told, I’ve had enough of this “head-on”!

Hey, wait a second you moron!

What you said must quickly be withdrawn

And no need your students be fawned upon

Neither will you need to look hither and yon

Open an account on Facebook headlong

That way, you may perhaps their brains turn on

With “likes” and “comments” posted on their Walls off and on

For your board and chalk, they think, are too bygone

Your dusty words they could no longer take on

Your textbooks and even you and your sweetest song

To a museum they think should belong

So quickly get yourself a tweak if you want to belong

Or students to your classes won’t come along

No comments:

Post a Comment