Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Hey, teacher, leave them kids alone!! or Learner Autonomy

Dear fellow bloggers,

"Another Brick in The Wall" is an iconic song and most teachers, I believe, must be familiar with. I've been teaching this particular song to my students since I became a teacher. Students' responses have always been unbelievably amazing. Even the most taciturn and reserved students get excited and join the choral singing with which I usually end my EFL "musical" lessons. One common and funny but profound reaction I noticed among all my different classes is the students' pointing at me when we reach the line:

" Hey, teacher, leave them kids alone!"

In the light of this week readings and discussions, such reaction could be interpreted as the students' cry for more autonomy and less teacher "thought" control. If I were a teacher trainer, I wouldn't hesitate to invite the trainees to watch this video clip, if not the whole movie, as a starting basis for a discussion of teacher-centered and learner centered approaches. What do you think? While thinking about that, please, do watch and enjoy the video clips below. They are my special treat for special folks!






Yours,
Arbi

3 comments:

  1. Dear Arbi,

    They all need no education. We must leave those kids alone!?
    I have never relized this song is the essence of learner autonomy! :)
    Thank you for your treat and idea to use it with students.

    Yours,

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Arbi,

    Thank you for your special treat! I have enjoyed it tremendously. I will think about showing it to my students and trainees.

    Best

    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Victoria and Bella,

    All the pleasure is mine and I'm happy you enjoyed the videos and much happier you thought of showing them to your students/trainees.

    Yours,
    Arbi

    ReplyDelete