Thursday, June 24, 2010

To blog or "tu blagues" !!!

Hello fellow bloggers,

To blog or not to blog, that is the question that has inhabited my mind for quite a year or so. Friends kept telling me to create a blog over and over. But I was reluctant to start the blogging experience for no obvious reasons. Perhaps, laziness or fear of the unknown in any new adventurous experience were behind my being a late comer to the bloggers’ community. But « better late than never » has an unquestionable and perennial wisdom as a proverb!

Also, had it not been part of the requirements of the online webskills course, I perhaps wouldn’t have been blogging at all. So I am very grateful to the University of Oregon people who designed this course in a manner that has made ‘ our ‘ bloghood not only a possibility but a virtual reality.

I think having an email is perhaps one of the basic requirements of netizenship. I would even dare and say it is the lowest form of netizenship. Having and maintaining a blog , I believe , is a further step towards true and active netizenship. So I 'm very happy about this upgrade and looking forward to learning how to use more social network tools in order to get a bit closer to full netizenship.

Anyway, through this blog I intend to share with you fellow coursemates and bloggers what I will be learning throughout this ten week long webskills online course . Later on, I will try to shift the focus of my posts from the course and teaching to other more general and varied topics.

Week One

We are about thirty students representing a certainly interesting cultural, geographical, … and liguistic mosaic. Thoughout ten weeks, we are supposed to re-awaken the student in us to learn and perhaps re-learn things we probably mis-learned before. Introducing ourselves was a sort of entrĂ©e to this copious learning experience awaiting us. I learnt a lot of inspiring quotes my fellow coursemates carefully selected and shared with us. We also reacted to a set of ground rules for our discussions and gave our opinions about the criteria according to which our interaction will be assessed. We seemed to have unanimously agreed upon the objectivity, practicality and efficiency of the rubrics and evaluation criteria. Before embarking on creating our own blogs, Lady Deborah, our course facilitator, suggested some useful material to read and provided us with links to blog samples. They were very helpful.

What follows is a summary of an article we were assigned to read.

Blogging for ELT , an article written by Graham Stanely, was a good read in every sense of the word. The writer was very laconic and systematic while demystifying « blogging » for tech neophytes of my calibre. He started with a brief introduction of what a blog is and moved to outlining three possible types of blogs that teachers might use in their language classes. Links were provided to examples for each type of blogs to give the reader a visual evidence of how things work. Furthermore, the writer mentioned the rationale behind blogging, where to start and suggested some ideas for activities we can use. I will certainly try some of them with my students next school year. In the end, we were given tips on how to have a safe blogging experience.


10 comments:

  1. Hello, Arbi,
    I've read your comments aboutyour feelings before creating the blog. This is the first time for me to have my own blog, and I like it very much. The reason for me for not having one, is that I don't have time to communicate online too much.
    But now, I'm very happy that it was our first task to do, and I'm sure we'll all enjoy communicating this way.
    Thank you very much for the thorough analysis of the article. Sadly, I haven't read it yet, but I'm going to do so a.s.a.p.
    All the best
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Arbi,
    nice to meet you online:-)
    I really enjoyed reading your first blog post and I think you are a natural born blogger!

    Having been in the blogosphere for some time now, I must say that blogging can be quite a time-consuming activity if you want to run a lively blog. However, the interaction with your readers who will share their thoughts and ideas with you is certainly worth it.

    Thanks for putting together such a succinct summary of Graham Stanley's excellent article.

    All the best
    Arjana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Arbi.
    I'm your coursemate. Nice to meet you "online", too. LOL
    I shared the same feeling as you about creating a blog. I feel blogs are very invasive when it comes to you privacy, but then I thought: "Well, this blog is related to my work and I'm not an adolescent anymore, afraid of what other may think of me", so I took the courage and created it.
    Regards,
    Johwyson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi dear Arabi,

    So glad to meet you here:) I read Bella, Arjana and Johwyson comments and I see that we all share similar feelings to blogging! This is the first time for me to use blogs too and as you said "better late than never". It is just amazing how technology can make people closer and how it make them apart! Luckily here the use of technology is very positive…

    Thanks for your well written summary of the article. I am going to read it later…

    That's for now,
    Khuloud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again,

    Well I see that I write your name as Arabi rather than Arbi! Sorry but we have the name Arabi so that's why I misspelled your name.

    Khuloud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Arbi,

    I'm so happy to meet you online. You know we feel a little bit afraid of anything we do for the first time. By once you are involved, I'm sure you will forget everything but doing it especially If you have may wonderful coursemates like ours.

    Thanks for your article summary.

    Something else, I see English and French in your blog. Can you change the setting of language.

    Yours,
    Azhar
    Egypt

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI, Arbi!!! Yeah as you said it is nice again to be a student and feel how it was in our old times. I agree with you that the course will be very useful and beneficial for us all. See and talk to you soon
    Liliya ( Uzbekistan)
    P.S. Really nice to meet colleagues all over the world and this is a great expereince.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, Arbi! How are your thoughts about blogging today. After reading your posts, I found that I am in some ways similra to you. If something urges me do the things , I will do. Human nature. Happy and productive blogging for EFL
    Liliya Kim (Uzbekistan)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Liliya,
    Thanks for dropping by and commenting on my post. I too can't find the right epithet to describe my happiness to be a member of this wonderful community of long life learners.
    Enjoy your studenthood to ther max!
    All the best.

    Arbi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Bella and Arjana,
    Thank you so much for your nice comments on my first blog post. I'm so happy to be read first by ladies ;-) "Galantrie oblige" :-)In fact, just like you I'm much happier to re-live studenthood with experienced teachers like you.
    Looking forward to more fruitful interactions.
    Regards
    Arbi

    ReplyDelete